Thanks very much for the info. I'll give it a try.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bobak, Mark
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 3:37 PM
To: Smith, Ron; tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee; ORACLE-L
Subject: RE: Slow Export

Ok, so, try running:
truss -c -p

if the export is already running, or:
truss -c exp

If you're starting up a new export.

Let it run for a while, say, 1/2 hour or so. When you get tired of waiting, hit CRTL-C. (Or, if you want, you can let it run completely.)
If you decide to let it run completely, you could do:
time truss -c -p exp

instead, and the time command will tell you the total elapsed time, which you'll want to know.

When exp exits, or is cancelled, the truss output will show you the total number of system calls and the total time spent servicing them, for each type of syscall made by exp. Now, consider how long exp ran in total, and look at the system calls, and where the most time was taken. If you can see, for example, that you ran exp for 1/2 hour, and 25 minutes was spent in write() system calls, then, you need to investigate why your writes are so slow.

Try it out, if you don't understand the output, try posting it here, and we'll see what it tells us.

Also, FYI, the oracle session constantly waiting on SQL*Net messages is an indication that the bottleneck is in the exp process, and not in the database. (This is what Tanel hinted at a few messages ago.)

Hope that helps,

-Mark

--
Mark J. Bobak
Senior Oracle Architect

"There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't."