We have done it with Oracle 7,8,and 9, but not 10.
The servers should be identical. Might need to relink after the copy.

Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
On Behalf Of Matthew Zito
Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2005 10:31 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Copying ORACLE_HOME?

Hi Folks,

I have a customer that is building new ORACLE_HOMEs by copying over
the appropriate trees and modifying all the necessary files. They
are having stability problems with 10g, and Oracle is now claiming
that the only supported way to make an ORACLE_HOME is through the
OUI. Is anyone here currently making new ORACLE_HOMEs by copying
from another one, and have you ever had any support issues doing that?

The whole thing smells to me like Oracle has no idea and is grabbing
at straws, but I would like to get people's opinions. Feel free to
email me off-list if you'd rather not publicize your possibly illicit
activities.

Thanks much,
Matt

Important Notice!!
If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail message, any use, distribution or copying of the message is prohibited.
Please let me know immediately by return e-mail if you have received this message by mistake, then delete the e-mail message.
Thank you.

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedAug 4, '05 at 10:32a