From: Guang Mei
Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2005 11:29 PM
To: 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'
Subject: Question on update ... where current of ...

Hi,

A quick pl/sql question for oracle 9i. I have these two pl/sql blocks
below,
does oracle treat them same internally when inside the loop?

Would "method 2" be better, in terms of performance?

Thanks.

Guang

method 1:
DECLARE

CURSOR c1 IS
SELECT ID, s1
FROM t1
WHERE s1 = 'abc';
FOR UPDATE;

BEGIN

FOR x IN c1 LOOP
UPDATE t1
SET StateID = 'NEW',
LASTMODIFIEDDT = sysdate
WHERE s1 = x.s1;
END LOOP;

END;

method 2:
DECLARE

CURSOR c1 IS
SELECT ID, s1
FROM t1
WHERE s1 = 'abc';
FOR UPDATE;

BEGIN

FOR x IN c1 LOOP
UPDATE t1
SET StateID = 'NEW',
LASTMODIFIEDDT = sysdate
where current of c1;
END LOOP;

END;

*
PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL:

addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential and/or privileged
you
are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by
return e-mail, delete this communication and destroy all copies.

*

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL:

addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential and/or privileged
disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you
are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by
return e-mail, delete this communication and destroy all copies.

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedMar 17, '05 at 11:32p
activeMar 18, '05 at 9:15a