Hi Ron,

The first thing is what is slow for you?
Currently for me is very slow that I can do only few
thousands inserts into Oracle while some other so
called in-memory databases can do it much more under
certain cisrumstances.

We are using OCI and ODBC with Oracle very
successfully.

For data transfer between Oracle and the client you
need to use all of these:
- prefetching (I used it from 7.3, cannot remember
earlier)
- array binding/fetching, where you can pass to and
from the database arrays (again not sure about 7.2)
This is also called bulk/array operations like bulk
DML in OCI guide

Check first is your 7.2 OCI supports all of this.
ODBC driver needs to support all of that. If not then
you should change the ODBC driver if possible.

I can remember that we were writing these special ODBC
functionality to use these advanced things in 7.3, but
that was 7 or 8 years ago.

I do not believe that you are going to find anybody
except contractors willing to do anything for money to
investigate what is possible and what is not to
improve your app situation :)

In your case it can be just pure prefetching problem
from the database + no bulk DML back to the database.

Regards,
Zoran

"Smith, Ron L." wrote:
We have an application running on an NT server using
an Oracle 7.2 V2.5
ODBC connection to talk to a new 9.2 database on a
Linux server. The
application transfers a lot of data back and forth.
The performance is
pretty slow. Could it be caused by the old ODBC and
SQL*NET on the
application server?

Thanks!
Ron