David,

This error happens because of a new feature called Huge TLB support,
which is enabled by default in 2.6 kernels. By default only root has
permission to allocate shared memory with this option (SHM_HUGETLB) and
Oracle 10g defaults using it, so Oracle fails to allocate the SGA.

This capability is supposed to be able to controlled with the setcaps
program (CAP_IPC_LOCK), but I couldn't get it to work properly. I did
some research - the probable reason: setcap utilities are not supported
by the particular filesystem.

The solution is either to set DISABLE_HUGETLBFS=1 before you start
Oracle or to recompile the kernel without CONFIG_HUGETLB_PAGE and
CONFIG_HUGETLBFS configuration parameters.

Regards,
Lyubomir Petrov

David Fenng wrote:
Hi,All,

Today,I've tried to install Oracle 10g on SuSE 9.1 prof .The software
Installation was OK.

But when I use dbca to create the instance, I got a error,ORA-27125:
unable to
create shared memory segment.

some information about the Suse machine:

linux:~ # cat /etc/sysctl.conf
#-----------Begin from here--------------------------------------
kernel.shmall = 2097152
kernel.shmmax = 2147483648
kernel.shmmni = 4096
kernel.shmmin = 1
kernel.sem = 250 32000 100 128
fs.file-max = 65536
net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range = 1024 65000
linux:~ #

Physical memory :512 M
Cpu : Intel P4 1.7G

I've read the Installation guide for Linux @ otn.oracle.com and