Dennis:

One thing that everyone is missing with their comments is the fact that
enterprise grid computing has not been made real yet. I fully agree with
people's comments that comparisons to the Electronic Grid are unfounded,
however, Larry seems to compare the reliability of his technology to it.
Guess we should expect a failure sometime in August.

Here's the central issue. Corporations and Matt Adams at GE can speak
very direct to this, prefer to have islands of data at the
department/division level. It provides/facilitates better management,
better control and allows computing resources to handle isolated demands
should individual applications require it.

Here the pricing issue folks. You would have heard this at IOUG Live but
I couldn't make it this year. To fully enable grid computing, you need to
throw out all hard-wired storage in favor of Network Attached Storage. You
need to deploy standardized hardware technologies so that connections to the
grid are standardized. For third party products that have not adopted a
grid pricing strategy, you must price their products accordingly.

So, I'm going to throw out all of my hardware just to implement an
enterprise grid? I don't think so. I may experiment with the concept,
using a small regional application or change specific portions of my data
center, at hardware upgrade time, to implement a grid, but I sincerely doubt
that enterprises are going to make the switch.

Mladen had a great statement. Grid Computing realities will not be seen
for several years. CERN already has one up and running and Oracle is
working directly with them to ensure the thing stays up. That's why you are
seeing all of the security alerts lately. For anyone that is implementing
Grid, Oracle is directly involved.

My .1c.

Thank You

Stephen P. Karniotis
Compuware Corporation
Direct: (313) 227-4350
Toll Free: (800) 462-7740 ext. 74350

Mobile: (248) 408-2918
Email: Stephen.Karniotis_at_Compuware.com
Web: www.compuware.com