From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org On
Behalf Of Mercadante, Thomas F
Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 2:49 PM
To: 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'
Subject: RE: can table locking improve performance ??

Babette,

My guess is that you will ether see no improvment at all, or it will get
worse.

Oracle will issue it's own locks - your placing a lock on a row may actually
slow it down. I can't see it getting any better. As you said, you will be
the only person on the database at the time - you will be contending with
anyone else trying to lock either the table or a row in the table.

I say leave it alone. Don't issue any locks at all - let Oracle take care
of them.

To speed up the process, you may need to re-engineer how you are doing it.
Are you performing a straight sqlldr load, CTAS, procedural
loop/insert/update?

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional