From: Vergara, Michael (TEM)
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 2:35 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: RE: HP-UX 11 to 11i upgrade question...

Chris:

Make a backup

Make another backup onto different media

Make an exact map of your file locations. You can always

fool Oracle with links if you hit a crunch.

4) Backup your control files to trace; you might need them

if you have to recover. Plus, you can use the scripts

to change locations if (when?) then mount points don't

match. Save these scripts to your PC or another server

so you have them stashed.

Everything else looks good. You definitely want to relink

the binaries. Are there any application binaries that are

on the system?

Oooh! Oooh! One more thing...are you changing bitness of

the O/S? If you're going from 32-bit to 64-bit you may have

to be careful in the relink. If *should* work...but...

And you're right. In theory, it's easy. If you've planned

for as many issues as you can think of, then odds are you

won't have any! If you're unprepared...well...the Gods

love it when we get cocky!

Good Luck!

Mike