From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
On Behalf Of Thomas Jeff
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2004 10:33 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Informatica Bulk Mode behavior

List,
Is anyone familiar with how Informatica's bulk mode works?

We have a situation where I created a 4GB tablespace for a new and simple
truncate/load operation from Informatica, around 7 million rows estimated to
take up 1.5GB.

Using bulk mode, which appears to be a direct load (in the SQL cache, the
INSERT statement has a hint that I've never seen before: SYS_DL_CURSOR
which I assume stands for Direct Load), they run out of space in the
tablespace after about 200K rows have been inserted.

If I then manually rebuild the table, the 200K rows gets compressed back
down to one extent.

So there's a lot of either empty or preallocated space. Thinking
somehow
the high-water mark was the culprit, I manually truncated the table before
they reran their job.

Still the same problem.

If the job runs in 'normal' mode, which is row-by-row processing, it runs
fine, although of course, performance is quite poor.

Any ideas/experience as to how this bulk mode operates?

Thanks.

Jeffery D Thomas
DBA

Thomson Information Services
Thomson, Inc.

Email: jeff.thomas_at_thomson.net

Indy DBA Master Documentation available at:
http://gkmqp.tce.com/tis_dba

To unsubscribe send email to: oracle-l-request_at_freelists.org put
'unsubscribe' in the subject line.