Sam, If you want to use the 10g RAC standard edition
you cannot exceed 4 CPU's. So you can only have 4 node
1 CPU cluster or 2 node 2 CPU cluster.

I am not 100% sure but I don't think 10G rac (as an
option) is downgraded on the standard edtion but
database features such as partitioning and bitmap
indexes are not included with the standard edition
database.

I am not sure about ASSM being included with the
Standard Edition but I think it is included. ASSM
won't replace your gpfs if you use the gpfs for things
other than database datafiles, controlfile and online
logfiles.

I have only seen 1 company install the standard
edition 10g RAC environment and it worked but they
had to migrate to the enterprise edition to accomodate
more CPU's in a 2 node cluster. I have not seen major
problems with the enterprise edition of 10g RAC and I
am working with 2 companys who have been doing some
heavy testing on 10g RAC and baring any major problems
1 of these company's may be production on 10g RAC by
June.

Scott

Sam Bootsma wrote:
Hi everybody,

In our current environment, we are running Oracle
8.1.7.4 on an IBM AIX
4.3.3 box. We are using IBM's High Availability
solution, HACMP, to
provide failover in case of any hardware problems.
The problem with
this cluster is, we have one expensive box that is
always sitting idle.
In the future, we wish to run the two boxes in an
Oracle RAC cluster on
9i, and later on 10g. 9i RAC requires IBM AIX
v5.2...IBM GPFS
v2.2...IBM HACMP. If we go 10g, we understand there
is no requirement
for the GPFS or HACMP products.

Oracle has informed us that Oracle 10g Standard
Edition ships with a
downgraded version of RAC. Can anybody tell me what
functionality has
been removed from this downgraded RAC? Will this
downgraded RAC
continue to provide us with the clustering solution
that we require?
Has anybody used it? What are people's experiences?
Does it work?
Does the downgraded version run without IBM GPFS and
without IBM HACMP?

Thanks for your valued input! I am subscribed to
the digest version of
the list, so please send any responses directly to
me as well as to the
list.

Sam

George Brown College