Hi everybody,

In our current environment, we are running Oracle 8.1.7.4 on an IBM AIX
4.3.3 box. We are using IBM's High Availability solution, HACMP, to
provide failover in case of any hardware problems. The problem with
this cluster is, we have one expensive box that is always sitting idle.
In the future, we wish to run the two boxes in an Oracle RAC cluster on
9i, and later on 10g. 9i RAC requires IBM AIX v5.2...IBM GPFS
v2.2...IBM HACMP. If we go 10g, we understand there is no requirement
for the GPFS or HACMP products.

Oracle has informed us that Oracle 10g Standard Edition ships with a
downgraded version of RAC. Can anybody tell me what functionality has
been removed from this downgraded RAC? Will this downgraded RAC
continue to provide us with the clustering solution that we require?
Has anybody used it? What are people's experiences? Does it work?
Does the downgraded version run without IBM GPFS and without IBM HACMP?

Thanks for your valued input! I am subscribed to the digest version of
the list, so please send any responses directly to me as well as to the
list.

Sam

George Brown College

sbootsma_at_gbrownc.on.ca