Hi all,

Performance concerns have been raised for a particular application. The
users can't tell me exactly which actions they believe are slow, but it
has been suggested that the problem may be the connection between the app
server and the database. This was a fairly small app, with all components
running on the same server. When we upgraded, the database went to a Unix
server, and the other app process were split across several Win2003
servers. App servers are in the same rack, DB is connected with a gb
line.

I ran separate 10046 traces against the most active sessions on a typical
afternoon. Connections are pooled, so several different user sessions are
represented in the trace files. The SQL*Net messages from the client
include a range of wait times, but since the sessions included periods of
inactivity, I'm considering this user think time, not wait time. 99.9%
SQL*Net messages from the database back to the client are sub .00 seconds,
a very few took .01 second. Total time for all SQL*Net messages in the
traced sessions in a 30 minute window was .05 seconds. I'd like to be able
to use this information to show that the connection between the database
and the application server is not the performance block. Is this a valid
way to use the data or am I reaching here? Can latency be hiding in the
'from client' messages that wouldn't appear in the 'to client' messages?

There appear to be too many database calls; still trying to investigate
that, but it's a vendor app and we have limited ability to change their
code. Performance issues seem to be related to the client workstation
size, etc. but I need to prove that the issue is not between the app
server and the db so we can move on and find the real problem.

TIA ... Robyn

put 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle