I have an application query that runs fine in RBO mode but failing in CBO with ORA-01722: invalid number -

select /*+ rule */ ORDER_NO,ITEM_NO
from SCHED_RECEIPTS_at_db01.world
where ORDER_NO = 4432089
and PROJECT_ORDER = 'Y' and ORDER_STATUS ='O'

ORDER_NO ITEM_NO

---------- --------------------

4432089 TOOLING COSTS

1 row selected.

select /*+ choose */ ORDER_NO,ITEM_NO
from SCHED_RECEIPTS_at_db01.world
where ORDER_NO = 4432089
and PROJECT_ORDER = 'Y' and ORDER_STATUS ='O'

ERROR:

ORA-01722: invalid number
ORA-02063: preceding line from DB01.WORLD

no rows selected

ORDER_NO column is varchar2 field and it may be containing some non-numeric data, so I understand that Oracle may be doing implicit conversion on order_no. But, then why it is working fine in RULE based. The explain plan is same in both cases and is using FULL Table access. The table has unique index on ORDER no.

Thanks in advance.
Manmohan

Author: Anubha Jalsingh
INET: ajalsingh_at_lycos.com