We also have been using Impromptu for years (probably around 1994 or so).
We really like it, have dozens of users using it. Even run our own little
Impromptu Users Group meetings to share infromation. It's great to have end
users more indpendant. We are still using the Client-server version. Have
PowerPlay on the shelf, just never have time to get to it. In addition to
having a seperate instance (perhaps an additinal machine), I'd recommend
having a seperate person per application to support it, if you really want to
have it be successful. I really like Cognos as a company, but when I get into
a DW project I'd look around, Business Objects and others are out there. Check
the TDWI website or conferences for great information. Additionally, Oracle
and Microsoft are talking about including Business Intelligence (BI) in their
products down the road. Someone like a Cognos might get swallowed up. But
that's down the road.

Please feel free to contact me about this in more detail. I love talking about
it.
===== Original Message From ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com =====
On DW project, we have used Cognos Impromptu and
Powerplay tool in 1998-1999. We used the client-server
version as Powerplay for the web was a tool bought
from another company and was not quite integrated with
the other Cognos products.

The main drawback were that the Powerplay part to
build the cubes was not scaling when using a multi-cpu
box. There was no framework to guide the end-users
with all the cubes we were producing. We had to
develop one. Beside that, Cognos offer good products.

In 2001-2002, when working at a different client, the
team selecting the reporting tool for the
datawarehouse choose Business Objects saying that
Cognos did not even make it to the short list. The
runner-up was Brio ....

--- Rodd Holman a écrit : >
Good afternoon listers.
I just found out that I will be meeting with the
sales "dog and pony"
folks from Cognos on Tuesday. Have any of you
worked with this
product? What should I be aware of? What
plusses/minuses should I look
for? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

Rodd Holman

--
Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
http://www.orafaq.com
Author: Rodd Holman
INET: roddholman_at_HotPOP.com

Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051
http://www.fatcity.com
San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web
hosting services
from). You may
also send the HELP command for other information
(like subscribing).
=====
Stéphane Paquette
DBA Oracle et DB2, consultant entrepôt de données
Oracle and DB2 DBA, datawarehouse consultant
stephane_paquette_at_yahoo.com

Lèche-vitrine ou lèche-écran ?
magasinage.yahoo.ca
Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?paquette=20stephane?=