On Tuesday 22 October 2002 17:09, Saira Somani wrote:
I wonder if anyone could provide me with some insight on a problem our
Sr. DBA is facing.

We are trying to install Oracle 8.1.7 SE Release 3 on Win2K Server but
our DBA believes that the problem lies with the hardware - a P4 Xeon
processor.

Has anyone else faced similar issues?
Hello Saira,
we have faced the same Problem and get the following solution:

Solution 1:

Obtain patch number 1507768 from Metalink
unzip the patch
unjar the contents
Go to the directory
.\cd\Disk1\stage\Components\oracle.swd.jre\1.1.7.30/1\DataFiles\Expanded\jre\
win32\bin\symcjit.dll rename symcjit.dll to symcjit.dll.ori
Invoke OUI and install OUI to disk
cd ./cd/Disk1/stage/win32/setup.exe
Use the installed OUI to install the RDBMS
Invoke OUI from the start menu, and install RDBMS software.

Solution 2:

Create a temporary directory on your server.
Copy the contents of the Oracle RDBMS Server CD to the temporary
directory created in step 1.
Search the directory structure created in step 1 for the existence of
the filename symcjit.dll.
Rename each copy of the symcjit.dll to symcjit.old.
Run the setup.exe from the \install\win32 directory and install
Oracle 8.1.x.
Thanks,

Saira Somani
IT Support/Analyst