----- Original Message -----
To: "Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L"
Sent: Monday, September 30, 2002 1:33 PM
I got a call from a customer earlier. He said that he was trying to
run a query and it was taking way too long. He ran the same query last
Friday and it came back in seconds. I looked at it in OEM and noticed
that two of the tables were being accessed by full table scans. These
tables have 22,000+ and 24,000+ rows each. I took the sql from OEM and
ran it in a svrmgrl session (connected internal), and it came back in
seconds. His still hadn't come back.
To further complicate things, I connected as the owner of the tables
(the same user he was using) and ran the query again. This time, I
ended up killing it after 10 minutes. I'm confused as to what can cause
such a difference in performance from sys to another user. The server
did crash sometime over the weekend. He said that it was fine before
the crash. I ran a dbverify on all of the data files and came up with
nothing.

The vitals are:

Oracle 8.1.6.0.0
Digital Unix V4.0F (Rev. 1229)

Unfortunately, upgrading Oracle isn't an option because the
processor is too old. Oracle won't support it on any versions higher
than 8.1.6. A patchset may be possible, though.

Thank you.

--
Scott Canaan (srcdco_at_rit.edu)
(585) 475-7886