-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 6:08 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Hello list,

Oracle 8.1.6.3.0, on HP-UX 11.0, using Oracle
Parallel Server (OPS)

According to Oracle, I should be able to drop a
datafile that has no data
written to it, but I can not. Neither DBA studio
(the garbage can stays
'grayed'), nor the command line (alter tablespace,
with the DROP clause)
works. I had immediately taken the datafile offline
(I had typed
sbplus_x18.dbf instead of sbplus_x16.dbf for the
datafile name to use in
case you are wondering how this turn of events
happened in the first place),
and checked all of the books, and Meta-Link. I tried
a test on a
non-production machine, no go; even taking the
tablespace off-line first
makes no difference. And of course I get errors as
one node can not see the
other nodes sbplus_x18.dbf datafile. I tried an
'alter system check
datafiles' to see if this would make the other node
happy (as the datafile
is now off-line, this may work), but I need a
solution other than exporting
the data, rebuilding the tablespace, then importing
the export.

Anyone ever come across this issue ?

Thank you,

Paul Sherman
DBA
voice - 781-501-4143 (office)
fax - 781-278-8341 (office)
email - psherman_at_elcom.com

--
Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
http://www.orafaq.com
Author: Sherman, Paul R.
INET: PSherman_at_elcom.com

Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX:
(858) 538-5051
San Diego, California -- Public Internet
access / Mailing Lists
E-Mail message
'ListGuru') and in
ORACLE-L
from). You may
also send the HELP command for other information
(like subscribing).
Author: Miller, Jay
INET: JayMiller_at_TDWaterhouse.com

Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX:
(858) 538-5051
San Diego, California -- Public Internet
access / Mailing Lists
E-Mail message
'ListGuru') and in
ORACLE-L
from). You may
also send the HELP command for other information
(like subscribing).
Do You Yahoo!?
http://greetings.yahoo.com

Author: Shantanu Talukder