Original Message -----
To: "Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L"
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2002 3:55 PM
Well, I opened a TAR with Oracle but they still haven't gotten back to me
and I need to know before I leave tonight (as I might not be leaving
tonight).

I was installing 8.1.7 on a server prior to doing an upgrade this weekend.
Over an hour had passed after asking my SA to run root.sh for me and while
looking something up the cover of my Koch book hit the enter key on my
workstation.
Boom, the installation process continued even though root.sh had not been
run.

There were no errors on the GUI side but the following errors in the log:

Error :*** Alert: A configuration script needs to be run as root before
installa
tion can proceed. Please leave this window up, go run
/oracle/product/8.1.7/root
.sh as root from another window, then come back here and click OK to
continue. *
**
User selected: Yes/OK

Initializing installer save inventory WCCE
Unable to read /oracle/oraInventory/Contents/OracleHomesList.ser. Some
inventory
information may be lost.
Unable to read /oracle/oraInventory/Contents/CompsList0.ser. Some inventory
info
rmation may be lost.
Unable to read /oracle/oraInventory/Contents/PatchesList0.ser. Some
inventory in
formation may be lost.
Unable to read /oracle/oraInventory/Contents/LibsList.ser. Some inventory
inform
ation may be lost.

So my question is:
Is there any way to recover from this or do I need to uninstall and
reinstall from the beginning?

TIA,
Jay Miller

Author: Miller, Jay