Thanks Regina. It works!
Erma
From: Regina Harter
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
Subject: Re: Inserting data from long table into wide table
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:56:30 -0800

I believe a decode and group by would work well for you, something like:

insert into tableb
select id, sum(decode(name,'P1',value,0)), sum(decode(name,'P2',value,0)),
from tablea group by id;
At 11:19 AM 3/22/01 -0800, you wrote:
I have a table A with the following data (Table A has 3 columns id, name,
value)

id name value
10 P1 20
10 P2 60
10 P3 12.5
10 P4 26
20 P2 90
20 P3 15
20 P4 36
30 P1 60
30 P2 50
30 P3 11.5
30 P4 13
.... more rows

I want to insert this data into table B as follows (Table B has 4 columns
id, P1, P2, P3, P4)

id P1 P2 P3 P4
10 20 60 12.5 26
20 100 90 15 36
30 60 50 11.5 13
... more rows

Can you suggest a Sql statement for the insert into table B. Thank you
very much in advance.
Erma

Author: Erma Fernando
INET: cecfernan_at_hotmail.com