Il giorno sab, 07/04/2007 alle 10.30 -0400, Khalid Baheyeldin ha
scritto:
On 4/7/07, Gabriele Turchi wrote:
Frankly, I don't think PDO could be a solution for a better
database
portability, at least in drupal.

Can you explain in some more detail why you think so?
Of course.

From my point of view, PDO is simply a "API unification". But, if you
have a little more complex target than creating simple tables and
fetching data from them, you may need to specialize your queries for any
specific database. To reach this objective, a way is to make a more
general way to describe a query, and leave to a lower application lever
the job to write the query, the better one for this database.
My first feeling was to create a very light db persistence
layer, based
on php dynamic object creation (__get and __set): define a
class with an
array on info like: name, type (number, text, large text and
blob), is
(part of) primary key, is indexable. Do a mapping into a
"create table"
should be easy.

I have mixed feelings about abstraction layers. I am not opposed to
abstracting
DDL (table creations, alters, ...etc.), but have mixed feelings on
full abstraction
of DML (select, insert, ...etc.), on one hand it makes development
easier, but they
Frankly, I share this feelings too.
tend to be lowest common denominator and failing to optimize to the
specific engine
in use.
Mhh, using PDO you have two choices: always maintain multiple backends
(and PDO is useless), or simplify the queries to the lowest common
denominator...

In our case, using an abstraction layer (modeled pretty close to the
tables structure) should make possible to have some some sort of "source
level optimization). As an example, somewhere in the code there are some
"select distinct b.* from ...": manipulating this query is a nightmare!
To be compatible with Oracle I need to "unpack" the field list from the
"b.*" and apply the "distinct" only to some of them. If the table was
created as an object (and the application can simply access the fields
list), and if I have a way to (simply) ask "fetch all - distinct - lines
from that table" my job can be really simpler.

From a more technical point of view, I simply hate the abstraction
layers when they are too rigid ("struts" mean anything for you?). The
ability to make dynamic changing objects in php is - from my experience
- the best starting point.

However, we already have an abstraction layer in Drupal that has
worked well.
The drawback is that it is not a standard though. If we are to write a
new
layer, then it has to be something with wide support for various
databases,
and PDO seems to be that layer.

About the db_num_rows question: there are more than a good
reason to
avoid it. As an example, the default behavior for the
postgresql driver
is to fetch in memory _all_ the results before returning the
first one
to the caller: with big tables this is simply devastating (and
can be
removed from future releases). And Oracle simply doesn't
support it.

Many databases do not support, but for those that do, it avoids the
performance
penalty of two queries (one SELECT col1, col2 ...., and one SELECT
COUNT(*)).

In your other message, you mentioned that db_num_rows is bad for
performance.
How is that so? Is this true only for PostgreSQL?
As I said, when available, the db_num_rows depends on fetching in memory
_all_ rows from the database: this is a big performance cost (fetching
many data from disk to database memory, from database memory to network,
from network to apache/php memory). Even worse if these data aren't
really needed. Only mysql seems to have a more efficient way to do so.
but...
--
2bits.com
http://2bits.com