On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 23:26:55 +0200, Dries Buytaert wrote:
Hi Gabrieli,
On 07 Apr 2007, at 10:40, Gabriele Turchi wrote:
Hi all. I'm doing a drupal 5.1 Oracle db experimental port. I have a
first core installation more or less working.

Next target will be cck and views.

One problem was the need to remove the db_num_rows calls
(unavailable in
Oracle). I've seen here and there an inappropriate use of this
function
("select *" and db_num_rows in place of "select count(*)"), and I
think
my patches can be useful also for performance under other databases.
Cool! :)

Note that we can't commit your patch to the Drupal 5 branch -- only
bugfixes are committed to that branch. You'll want to provide
patches for CVS HEAD so that the new functionality can become part of
Drupal 6.

You'll want to check with Larry Garfield -- he's working on PDO
support for Drupal 6, and is also looking into removing db_num_rows
(). See this week's thread about "PDO and database limitations" for
more information.
@Gabrieli: Greetings! Hopefully what I'm working on will make Oracle support easier, too.

@Dries: Since it looks like db_num_rows() is going to be an issue for more than just PDO, would you be open to separate patches that just do "SQL cleanup" to eliminate db_num_rows(), clean up tablename-in-prepared-statement problems, etc, either as lots of little patches (my preference, easier to test/debug) or a big cleanup patch? I believe that will be the largest remaining part of PDO anyway, but valuable to native-Oracle efforts etc. as well.

--Larry Garfield

groupdevelopment @
categoriesdrupal
postedApr 7, '07 at 8:40a