Hey everyone!

I thought I'd start a discussion on what exactly we'd like from an admin
dashboard perspective, for both BOSH and Cloud Foundry. Having played
with a few technologies now, I'm starting to settle on a plan of execution.

I have a meteor app that can poll simple GET requests from both BOSH and
Cloud Foundry. However, re-implementing the API in javascript might not
be the best plan so I'm thinking of going with my original plan and
having a worker app that polls for information continuously from the
API's and inserts that information into the meteor mongodb, which
automatically updates the web site. This seems to work well although
running it on meteor.com can take up to 15 seconds to actually update
the site. Not ideal. I'm hoping that when I get mongo running on my CF
setup that it'll be quicker.

I've hooked up the d3js.org libraries onto my front end too, and I can
make pretty animated graphs/charts from the information with ease. It's
SO MUCH FUN. Now I've prototyped the idea a little I'm building out what
I actually want to see on the dashboard. So, here are the questions:

Initially I'm just doing read only, what would you like to see on the
dashboard? Maybe:

1 - Log files from each of your CF instances? I haven't looked into how
to do this, but it would be nice to see, huh?

2 - Health of instances that are running. CPU usage, memory, drive space?

3 - The latest BOSH tasks that have run?

4 - Something else?

I'd like your feedback as I go, and I'll probably open this up on my
github account soon to get new eyes on the idea. Because I started again
it's quite new and shiny so it could easily be improved by many of you.

Let me know!

--
*Jamie van Dyke*: Chief Science Officer at PharmMD Inc.
<http://www.pharmmd.com>

groupvcap-dev @
postedAug 7, '13 at 9:29a
activeAug 7, '13 at 12:59p