@Ferdy, I got it. Thanks!

在 2014年3月4日星期二UTC+8下午3时47分37秒,ferdy写道:
If you use the root filesystem instead of the device loop and /tmp fills
up, your system is going to crash, because the whole root partition is
going to ran out of space. If the /tmp is mounted on a device loop
connected to a file and it fills up, it'll only fill up the file size, 128M
in this case, but the rest of the root partition won't be affected (27G
available space), so it won't crash your system.

- Ferdy

Hi @Ferdy, thank you for your reply. In my environment, the root
partition /dev/vda1 in each VM is shown below:
Disk /dev/vda1: 32.2 GB, 32212222464 bytes

Besides, /dev/vda1 is mounted on the root directory:
/dev/vda1 30G 1.2G 27G 5% /

AFAIK, /tmp is under the root directory / and the the root partition
/dev/vda1 is mounted on the /. I guess the capacity of /tmp is almost the
same as /. What's more, the size of the file /var/vcap/data/root_tmp is
only 128MB and belongs to /(/dev/sda1). So, I feel confused about the words
*"**It's to prevent that the root partition fills up with temporary
data". *If the the file system /var/vcap/data/root_tmp is filled up with
temporary data(it only has 128MB capacity), it can also cause severe system
error as the file /var/vcap/data/root_tmp is a part of root partition. So,
why not put temporary data to /tmp directly? In this way, /tmp directory
can have more capacity.

Maybe my understanding is wrong, but I want to know why. Thanks!

--
Best Regards,
Du Jun

在 2014年3月4日星期二UTC+8下午2时33分36秒,ferdy写道:
Can only answer the first question:

1)What's the usage of file system /var/vcap/data/root_tmp in BOSH? ->
It's to prevent that the root partition fills up with temporary data (we
only have 1 partition), so we harden the size of the /tmp dir mounting a
loop device.

- Ferdy

Hi all,
I am using both BOSH and bosh-lite to deploy cf and curious about the
file /var/vcap/data/root_tmp in the VM and warden. In bosh_agent, I find
bosh make the file system /var/vcap/data/root_tmp and mount it to /tmp when
bootstrap and configure bosh_agent,
https://github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh/blob/master/
bosh_agent/lib/bosh_agent/bootstrap.rb#L258

I can verify the mount point in the booted VM by using `$ mount -l`
command,
/var/vcap/data/root_tmp on /tmp type ext4 (rw)
It shows /var/vcap/data/root_tmp is mounted at /tmp.

However, when I type `$ mount -l` in warden booted by bosh-lite, I find
file system /var/vcap/data/root_tmp is not mounted at /tmp. But, I can find
file /var/vcap/data/root_tmp in warden.

My question is that:
1)What's the usage of file system /var/vcap/data/root_tmp in BOSH?

2)Did bosh-lite never use bosh-agent or modify bosh-agent?

Thanks!
Du Jun

an email to bosh-users+...@cloudfoundry.org.
an email to bosh-users+...@cloudfoundry.org <javascript:>.