Hi @Ferdy, thank you for your reply. In my environment, the root partition
/dev/vda1 in each VM is shown below:
Disk /dev/vda1: 32.2 GB, 32212222464 bytes

Besides, /dev/vda1 is mounted on the root directory:
/dev/vda1 30G 1.2G 27G 5% /

AFAIK, /tmp is under the root directory / and the the root partition
/dev/vda1 is mounted on the /. I guess the capacity of /tmp is almost the
same as /. What's more, the size of the file /var/vcap/data/root_tmp is
only 128MB and belongs to /(/dev/sda1). So, I feel confused about the words
*"**It's to prevent that the root partition fills up with temporary data". *If
the the file system /var/vcap/data/root_tmp is filled up with temporary
data(it only has 128MB capacity), it can also cause severe system error as
the file /var/vcap/data/root_tmp is a part of root partition. So, why not
put temporary data to /tmp directly? In this way, /tmp directory can have
more capacity.

Maybe my understanding is wrong, but I want to know why. Thanks!

--
Best Regards,
Du Jun

在 2014年3月4日星期二UTC+8下午2时33分36秒,ferdy写道:
Can only answer the first question:

1)What's the usage of file system /var/vcap/data/root_tmp in BOSH? -> It's
to prevent that the root partition fills up with temporary data (we only
have 1 partition), so we harden the size of the /tmp dir mounting a loop
device.

- Ferdy

Hi all,
I am using both BOSH and bosh-lite to deploy cf and curious about the
file /var/vcap/data/root_tmp in the VM and warden. In bosh_agent, I find
bosh make the file system /var/vcap/data/root_tmp and mount it to /tmp when
bootstrap and configure bosh_agent,

https://github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh/blob/master/bosh_agent/lib/bosh_agent/bootstrap.rb#L258

I can verify the mount point in the booted VM by using `$ mount -l`
command,
/var/vcap/data/root_tmp on /tmp type ext4 (rw)
It shows /var/vcap/data/root_tmp is mounted at /tmp.

However, when I type `$ mount -l` in warden booted by bosh-lite, I find
file system /var/vcap/data/root_tmp is not mounted at /tmp. But, I can find
file /var/vcap/data/root_tmp in warden.

My question is that:
1)What's the usage of file system /var/vcap/data/root_tmp in BOSH?

2)Did bosh-lite never use bosh-agent or modify bosh-agent?

Thanks!
Du Jun

email to bosh-users+...@cloudfoundry.org <javascript:>.