Anything's possible - its all just code :)

I also don't have a background in configuring linux machines; but 2 years at Engine Yard means I've seen my fair share of scripts, chef recipes, and AWS provisioning. I have to look up everything on the ole Google Machine (which then redirects me to Stack Overflow or some ugly Linux Users forum) to figure out which flags to use on each executable. Hence being able to iterate on anything within a local VM against my development codebase means I get to try scripts faster.

Currently I'm experimenting with the roundup project [1] for authoring tests, so I can automate even more of the "does my bosh release (or whatever devops thing I'm doing) still work?". TDD for my BOSH releases :)

[1] https://github.com/bmizerany/roundup

Dr Nic Williams - VP Developer Evangelism
Engine Yard
The Leading Platform as a Service
Mobile: +1 415 860 2185
Skype: nicwilliams