Alan,

the micro bosh stemcell is used to bootstrap your bosh environment. It is what you use to get your initial deployment of bosh going. The micro bosh stemcell comes pre-loaded with the bosh-release, while a regular stemcell doesn't have anything pre loaded (except for the bosh agent).

You will upload the stemcell to your deployed micro bosh instance, and then use it in the deployments you do from there.

You don't have to create your own stemcells (unless you really want to), just use one we have built:
bosh public stemcells --tags all
bosh download stemcell <stemcell name>

I hope that explains it :)

Cheers,