I will check my wording. A bosh deployment uses a stemcell and a release. A stemcell and release are independent of each other (those a release probably has some implicit assumptions about the stemcell).

Cheers
Nic

Dr Nic Williams - VP Developer Evangelism
Engine Yard
The Leading Platform as a Service
Mobile: +1 415 860 2185
Skype: nicwilliams