I can't speak to plans for impala, but in the past I have successfully made
queries like this by rewriting them into joins. Can you do this:

select a.* from t1 a INNER JOIN (select max(c1) as c1 from t1) b ON a.c1 =
b.c1

I've used this approach with good performance on reasonably large tables
where the joined table filtered out to a small set of data. That is, where
t1 has many records, but the subquery has few.