Hi Jonathan,

I'm also trying to connect MSTR 9.3.1 to Impala. I have port 21000 open on
all the Impala nodes and was able to connect using the Impala shell.

When setting up the MSTR database connect, I choose the HiveThrift 0.9.x
driver, set the host to be one of the Impala node and port 21000. When I
tried to connect using the WH Catalog, I get the following error message.

Error type: System call error. Command
ConnectionInternalFactoryCreateConnection; threw BaseException:
org.apache.thrift.TApplicationException: Invalid method name: 'execute'
at
org.apache.thrift.TApplicationException.read(TApplicationException.java:108)
at org.apache.thrift.TServiceClient.receiveBase(TServiceClient.java:71)
at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.service.ThriftHive$Client.recv_execute(ThriftHive.java:105)
at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.service.ThriftHive$Client.execute(ThriftHive.java:92)
at
com.microstrategy.database.hive.HiveConnection.<init>(HiveConnection.java:23)

Using the same drivers, I also tried to connect to Hive Gateway using port
10000 and go the following error message:

Error type: System call error. Command
ConnectionInternalFactoryCreateConnection; threw BaseException:
org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransportException: java.net.ConnectException:
Connection refused
at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSocket.open(TSocket.java:183)
at
com.microstrategy.database.hive.HiveConnection.<init>(HiveConnection.java:18)
Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused
at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSocket.open(TSocket.java:178)
... 1 more

I noticed that Cloudera Manager has installed HiveServer2, is this backward
compatible with all the old Thrift drivers?

Thanks,
-Ray