On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 7:47 PM, Lake Chang wrote:
Hi Impala Users,

I'm very glad to join this group and to talk with all of you.
Impala is new to me, and I encountered a problem when I tried to use Impala
on an existing hive table which had many partitions. Let's name the table
"tbl_some_table". The problem is that, when I queried "describe
tbl_some_table", it took very long a time to respond. From the log I saw
that it seemed to scan all the partitions of the table.
Does anyone know why did it do this? How to avoid the problem and make
"impala describe" as fast as hive does?
The first time after startup you run "describe" (or any query, for
that matter), the impalad process needs to load the metadata.
Subsequent "describe" commands should run much faster.

Thanks,
- Aaron

groupimpala-user @
categorieshadoop