Hi DK,
First, there is no requirement that the machine running statestored is the
same machine you run queries on. You can actually run queries targeting any
impalad instance in your cluster. The state store can run on any machine in
the cluster. However, we recommend that you run the state store on a
different machine than the NameNode due to the NameNode's memory
requirements. For optimal performance, it is also critical that there is an
impalad instance installed and running on every DataNode in the cluster.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,
Lenni
Software Engineer - Cloudera