Hi DK,
Answered your questions inline

Thanks,
Lenni
Software Engineer - Cloudera
On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:35 AM, DK wrote:

Hi All,

Trying to install/setup impala on multi machine cluster in distributed
mode. I have following question related to hive:
1. I understand hive installation is mandatory on all nodes.
Hive is *not* required on all nodes. Currently, Impala does not support
DDL syntax (CREATE/ALTER DATABASE/TABLE) so you only need Hive installed on
nodes where you want to perform these operations.

2. Wondering if Hive need to be setup on only one node with a mysql
installation or need to be done on every node.
You only need a single mysql metastore installation. Every Impalad
instances should be configured to point to the same metastore. Note that
other databases (such as postgres) can also be used as a hive metastore,
there is no specific requirement on mysql.

3. For 2 I am guessing one metastore is fine because they all connect to
the same hadoop nodes and will have the same information.
Correct.

Thanks for your help in advance.
-DK

groupimpala-user @