The MR1 configuration is 'mapred.job.tracker', not
'mapreduce.jobtracker.address' (this is a newer name understood only
by MR in 2.x). Without the former, if you target an MR1 runtime, the
job will evaluate the default of 'mapred.job.tracker' as 'local' and
run a local job.

If your confusion is after following the given page at
http://archive.cloudera.com/cdh4/cdh/4/hadoop/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-common/DeprecatedProperties.html,
then please see the note at the bottom of
http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera-content/cloudera-docs/CDH4/latest/CDH4-Release-Notes/cdh4rn_topic_2.html:
"""
In Hadoop 2.0.0 and later (MRv2), a number of Hadoop and HDFS
properties have been deprecated. (The change dates from Hadoop 0.23.1,
on which the Beta releases of CDH4 were based). A list of deprecated
properties and their replacements can be found on the Apache
Deprecated Properties page.
Note: All of these deprecated properties continue to work in MRv1.
Conversely the new mapreduce* properties listed do not work in MRv1.
"""