Using package installed from RPM 1.2.0+cdh5.0.0+0 with version
0.cdh5b1.p0.81.el6

Impala doesn't seem to start. All I get in the log files is that it can't
connect to the statestore on localhost:24000.

BUT! I supply the IMPALA_STATE_STORE_HOST=hostname in /etc/default/impala
as it states in the docs.

Doing a tcpdump from the box doesn't show any packets leaving the box to
the statestore (and the same on the statestore). I also confirmed, using a
telnet to the statestore that this isn't an iptables issue.

I tried to manually launch impalad with the same results. I exported the
variables below.

IMPALA_SERVER_ARGS=-log_dir=/var/log/impala -state_store_port=24000
-use_statestore -state_store_host=ip-172-19-0-110.aws.internal
-be_port=22000

HADOOP_CONF_DIR="/etc/hadoop/conf"

HIVE_CONF_DIR="/etc/hive/conf"

HDFS and the hive shell both work fine off this datanode.

Any help appreciated (especially debugging as of this point, asides from
looking at /tmp/impala.ERROR/WARNING/INFO I don't know where to go.

Here's the exact error message, although i didn't find it too insightful..
That localhost "should" be pointing to my statestore IP/host

impalad-main.cc:85] Impalad services did not start correctly, exiting.
Error: Couldn't open transport for localhost:24000(connect() failed:
Connection refused)

Pat

--

---