On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 8:54 AM, Rafa? Radecki wrote:
Hi All :)

What is the best way to get a list of available security updates?
I found several commands for that:
1) yum updateinfo list updates -q --security
2) yum list-security --security -q
3) yum --security check-update -q
Based on the sample output below I think I can use any of the three with
some awk to get a list of packages.

yum updateinfo list updates -q --security
FEDORA-EPEL-2014-0525 security libyaml-0.1.5-1.el6.x86_64
FEDORA-EPEL-2014-0990 security libyaml-0.1.6-1.el6.x86_64

yum list-security --security -q
FEDORA-EPEL-2014-0525 security libyaml-0.1.5-1.el6.x86_64
FEDORA-EPEL-2014-0990 security libyaml-0.1.6-1.el6.x86_64

yum --security check-update -q
libyaml.x86_64 0.1.3-4.el6_6
updates

Then I can add this to nagios or cron to get a notification about available
security updates.

Do you see any advantages/disadvantages in using one of the three choices?

There are disadvantages to anything short of keeping your system
completely up to date with available updates.

How do you do this kind of task? What can you propose to get a notification
about available security updates?

Most/all updates within a minor version number will be to fix
something critical. And the big batches of updates that come at the
minor version releases are only tested together. While you can
cherry-pick individual package updates to install and in theory they
should run and pull in any other updates that are really needed via
rpm dependencies, you'll end up running a mix of things that no one
else has tried together.

--
    Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com