On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 09:55:12AM -0500, xaos wrote:
Alexander,

First off, CentOS7 came with cronyd. Which was very annoying
because when I tried to remove it, it had 2 prereqs:
anaconda
initial-setup

Now, I don't know why the setup program kept these
2 around. I think CentOS7 needs a bit growing up.

'initial-setup' is the program that runs on your first boot, and it
requires 'anaconda'. 'anaconda' requires the 'chrony' package.
Services in the default install require a time-sync daemon, and chrony
is the default, so this isn't really unexpected. Once a system is set
up, it doesn't remove the initial-setup package.

Then I installed ntp. However, when I started it
it seems that it was not compiled with: --enable-all-clocks

That doesn't seem to be the case. Looking at the NTP spec file, I
see:

%configure \
         --sysconfdir=%{_sysconfdir}/ntp/crypto \
         --with-openssl-libdir=%{_libdir} \
         --without-ntpsnmpd \
         --enable-all-clocks --enable-parse-clocks \
         --enable-ntp-signd=%{_localstatedir}/run/ntp_signd \
         --disable-local-libopts

(check the git.centos.org version yourself:
https://git.centos.org/blob/rpms!ntp.git/dbacec4466ee70248db634b110bfad8a2b74cd82/SPECS!ntp.spec
)

As far as I can tell, there is literally no reason why you can't use
the packaged ntpd.

If you are having a problem with getting the packaged ntpd working, I
suggest filing a bug against the RHEL package. The package has many
patches, perhaps one of them is interfering with detecting your
device.

--
Jonathan Billings <billings@negate.org>

groupcentos @