-----Original Message-----
From: Rita [mailto:rmorgan466 at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 7:22 PM
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: Re: [CentOS] NFS hard mount

Yes, unmount the share and error to the client app.

Sounds like you want to have a combination of mounting with the intr flag[1] and use autofs[2] so that the file system is not mounted ALL the time, but not so soft as to loose data all the time. I have seen soft loose data reliably, were in the same environment (and same equipment) hard,intr does not loose data.
My experience is that intr is useful in situations where servers go down/have link issues frequently, and autofs with short timeouts (~15s < timeout <~60s) makes those issues even less _visible_.
It will not get you an automatic unmount of the share and error to the client app in the case of server down, but it will /allow/ you to terminate the client and unmount as needed IIRC.

[1] nfs mounting page with thanks to zGreenfelder
  https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Deployment_Guide/s1-nfs-client-config-options.html
[2] autofs page
  https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Deployment_Guide/s1-nfs-client-config-autofs.html