On Tuesday 24 April 2012 15.56.09 Lars Hecking wrote:
Peter Kjellstr??m writes:
On Monday 23 April 2012 17.54.33 Lars Hecking wrote:
I just kickstarted a new machine with the latest CentOS 6.2 files,

including kernel 2.6.32-220.13.1.el6.x86_64. It came up without network
interfaces.

dmesg says:
bnx2: Can't load firmware file "bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1b.fw"
This is because you have the kmod-bnx2 package which contains a newer
driver (2.2.1) but not a complete set of firmwares (two out of five files
missing).
Looks like a vanilla kernel bug.

http://lkml.org/lkml/2012/4/17/268
What you're hitting is similar but not the same. You installed an rpm that
redhat built for a few new NICs as part of their DUP (Driver Update Program):

https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHEA-2012-0503.html

Afaict, they say not to use it for other NICs. In your case a non listed NIC
broke because that package lacked some firmware.

That is, the problem is crystal clear, bug in the kmod-bnx2 package (but it
could be claimed to be a documented limitation...).
This machine is using the normal bnx2 driver (2.1.11) for which there is a
complete set of firmwares (provided by the kernel-firmware package).
Spot on - the working machine did not have kmod-bnx2 installed.
If you don't need the 2.2.1 driver I suggest you remove the kmod-bnx2
package from the first machine and fall back to the driver in the normal
kernel package.
Installing without kmod-bnx2 worked, and I also had to get rid of
kmod-cnic, which /tmp/yum.log listed as requiring kmod-bnx2.
"yum remove kmod-bnx2" is suggested way to remove packages in a dependency-
aware way.

/Peter