On Thursday, July 21, 2011 05:26:47 PM Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
Hi,
I'm trying to build a redundant duo of firewalls/routers/gateways and I'm
thinking about not putting any disks in them and instead using a usb-stick
raid-1 as storage.
Has anyone any experience with this? Since the machines will be running
pretty much only iptables, conntrackd and keepalived there is not going to
be a lot of disk activity going on and the plan is to do all the logging on
a remote machine which should reduce the write activity on the sticks to
almost zero during normal operation.

I've already created a fairly minimal kickstart for such an installation
but I'm wondering if there are any opinions out there on whether this is a
feasible approach or if there are any gotchas I'm not aware of.
I/we have done this on a few systems with vanilla CentOS and no problems. Do
note however that not all usb-sticks are the same (performance can vary _a
lot_).

/Peter