Trey Dockendorf wrote:
Great news about CentOS 6.0 being available, and I figured I'd ask the
most obvious question, what can I expect when upgrading from CentOS 5.6
to 6.0? I have not had to go from one major version of CentOS to
another so this is new territory for me. Is the processes just like an
install except there's an "Upgrade" option? Does an upgrade do a "yum
update" of everything installed? Most of my systems use EPEL and some
the IUS repos...is there a way during the upgrade to just upgrade system
components and leave things like PHP, httpd and MySQL alone for now?
Any suggestions on monitoring the upgrade progress via syslog or some
other method so I can see exactly what is being done during the upgrade?

Thanks
- Trey
Direct upgrade is NOT supported. You are advised to backup your old
system, save all relevant parameters and personal data and do a clean
install.

I think CentOS 6.0 by default uses etx4 partitions that are better then
old ext3, so I would advise total reformat of root partition (*after*
backup) and fresh install on newly formated partition.

Ljubomir

groupcentos @
categoriescentos
postedJul 10, '11 at 5:02p