On 6/9/2011 1:26 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
On 06/09/11 2:24 AM, Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
Alternatively, if I mdraid mirror the existing disk, would md be smart
enough to read using the other disk while the first's tied up with the
first process?
that woudl be my first choice, and yes, queued read IO could be
satisfied by either mirror, hence they'd have double the read performance.

next step would be a raid 1+0 with yet more disks.
mdadm is good, but you'll never get double the read performance. Even
on our 3-way mirrors (RAID 1, 3 active disks), we don't come close to
twice the performance gain.

RAID 1+0 with 4/6/8 spindles is the best way to ensure that you get
better performance.

Adding RAM to the server so that you have a larger read buffer might
also be an option.

groupcentos @
categoriescentos
postedJun 9, '11 at 5:24a