-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org
[mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf Of Jerry Geis
Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2010 10:28 AM
To: CentOS ML
Subject: [CentOS] ntp server

I have a need to run a centos server CUT-off from any
connected network.
So the NTP server that is running on this very small network
cannot connect to any other site to do what NTP does.

however, I have devices on this small network that I wish to
use the centos server as the time source and run ntpd.
N.B. Windows does not (easily) speak ntp with a *real* ntp client,
Microsoft has its own way of doing things.
However - it seems like ntpd server does not like to run this way.
There is a LONG delay before it finally says OK - no one to
talk to so I'll just give the time anyway. Then things start working.

Is there some method to SKIP this long delay??? It seems like
its 15 or 20 minutes.
I need to bypass that delay or tell ntpd "I dont care about
others time"
just provide the time you have.
/etc/ntp.conf
server (IP address of the machine running REAL ntp)
server 127.127.1.0
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10

N.B. stuff that goes in /etc/ntp.conf to keep the clocks secure is
omitted. This is just the three lines to keep clocks synchronized in a
perfect world.

groupcentos @
categoriescentos
postedJul 1, '10 at 10:28a