I'm trying to boot into the shell of a XenServer 5.6 (I believe CentOS
5.5 underneath). I added init=/bin/sh to the boot line, but I'm still
XenServer 5.6 is based on CentOS 5.4

[root at penfold ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
XenServer release 5.6.0-31188p (xenenterprise)
[root at penfold ~]# rpm -q centos-release
centos-release-5-4.el5.centos.1

Aren't you better off taking XenServer questions to the Citrix forums?
For example, the XenServer boot process uses extlinux and not grub;
here's an area where XenServer diverges from CentOS and so you may get
better answers from the correct support forum.

--

rgds
Stephen

groupcentos @