I am running CentOS 4.7, presently on an older box (PIII slot 1
processor @ 500mhz with 384meg of RAM, using SCSI disks with an
AHA-2940 host controller). I have built a new box: AMH Semporon
2.<mumble> GHZ, 2gig of RAM. I put in a AHA-29160 host controller (uses
same driver as the AHA-2940). The motherboard is an ASROCK thing with
nVideo's chipset: nv's SATA controller and nv's integrated network
(forcedeth). I just did some tests with live CD and installer CDs for
CentOS 4 and 5. It looks like the stock CentOS 4 kernel's achi and
forcedth drivers don't really care for this board :-(. I bought a SATA
DVD burner for this system -- it looks like I won't be able to use it
unless/until I upgrade either the kernel or the whole O/S (eg to at
least CentOS 5.3). I really don't want to go an upgrade to CentOS 5 at
this time. Do I have any other options? I have the kernel-devel
installed -- is it possible to 'steal' the sources for later kernel
drivers and re-compile them for the kernel I am running? Are there
other options available?

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
heller at deepsoft.com -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

groupcentos @
categoriescentos
postedJul 25, '09 at 2:49a
activeJul 25, '09 at 9:00a
websitecentos.org
irc#centos

2 users in discussion

Robert Heller: 1 post James Pearson: 1 post