Robert Heller wrote:
I am running CentOS 4.7, presently on an older box (PIII slot 1
processor @ 500mhz with 384meg of RAM, using SCSI disks with an
AHA-2940 host controller). I have built a new box: AMH Semporon
2.<mumble> GHZ, 2gig of RAM. I put in a AHA-29160 host controller (uses
same driver as the AHA-2940). The motherboard is an ASROCK thing with
nVideo's chipset: nv's SATA controller and nv's integrated network
(forcedeth). I just did some tests with live CD and installer CDs for
CentOS 4 and 5. It looks like the stock CentOS 4 kernel's achi and
forcedth drivers don't really care for this board :-(. I bought a SATA
DVD burner for this system -- it looks like I won't be able to use it
unless/until I upgrade either the kernel or the whole O/S (eg to at
least CentOS 5.3). I really don't want to go an upgrade to CentOS 5 at
this time. Do I have any other options? I have the kernel-devel
installed -- is it possible to 'steal' the sources for later kernel
drivers and re-compile them for the kernel I am running? Are there
other options available?
It might be possible that 'the soon to be available' CentOS 4.8 may
support these devices.

If you can get the system booted with CentOS 4.7, you could try and
install the more recent test RHEL4 kernel from:

<http://people.redhat.com/vgoyal/rhel4/>

What does the output of 'lspci' and 'lspci -n' give for this system?

James Pearson

groupcentos @
categoriescentos
postedJul 25, '09 at 2:49a
activeJul 25, '09 at 9:00a
websitecentos.org
irc#centos

2 users in discussion

Robert Heller: 1 post James Pearson: 1 post