On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 11:48, Sean Carolan wrote:
# /etc/init.d/script restart << this runs fine, returns my shell prompt
# exit << When I enter this command, my shell window just stays
"stuck" and actually won't close down.

Anyone know why this happens?
Yes, it's because the daemon started from that script keeps file
descriptors opened to the terminal you are connected to. This might be
considered a bug in the daemon, since a proper daemon should close all
its file descriptors before going background and returning to the
shell.

You might try to change the script in init.d to append "</dev/null
/dev/null 2>&1" at the line that starts the daemon, this might force
it to detach itself from the terminal.

HTH,
Filipe

groupcentos @