On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 9:56 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
I'm dealing with an old Xen 3 server, and badly need to update it and all
the vm's on it to more contemporary operating systems. So far, so good!

Can the Xen server on CentOS 5 para-virtualized CentOS 6? And if not, I'm
having real trouble getting a live cd or installation media to boot in full
virtualization to do the update of the guests.

I'd normally start by updating the Xen server first, but that's not workable
right now.

Following up: I've gotten full virtualization of CentOS 6 on an SL 5
Xen server by using the "virt-install" command and avoiding manual
editing of /etc/xen/ config files.

I've also been reminded, forcibly, of why I hated the "/etc/xen"
directory. The lack of distinction between a "/etc/xen/myserfer", the
example files there, and any other unqualified files there as valid
configation files means making safe backups of the files such as
"myserver.hvm" or "myserver.old" quite painful. I wound up putting
/etc/xen/ under git source control, just for tracking changes.

groupcentos-virt @
categoriescentos
postedFeb 17, '15 at 8:18a
activeMar 11, '15 at 2:30p