It's a bug in Cayenne. I just opened a Jira: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAY-2037 . While we are working on fixing it, there's a woraround described in Jira - if possible use a unique attribute of the target object inside COUNT. E.g. a.shop.name (if no such attribute exists, map ID as an ObjAttribute, and use that).

Andrus