I'd say you should and you are very much encouraged to do it :)

In fact this one probably goes way back, when we still tried to work within the JPA spec constraints. So this may have been an intentional limitation that we should no longer abide by. Try this workaround - replacing the relationship in SELECT clause with an alias, and let us know if that made a difference:

   "select distinct s from Receipt receipt inner join receipt.shop s”

Andrus