Likely a limitation in EJBQL. Originally we tried to stick with JPA spec for EJBQL syntax, and that does not support + notation for outer joins. Instead it has a separate join clause. Now we are no longer bound with JPA compatibility and can actually accept paths with outer joins. But I guess it has never been implemented in EJBQL parser.

Andrus